Thursday, September 08, 2016

Review- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling

 BOOK SUMMARY:

The Eighth Story. Nineteen Years Later.

Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.
 


Release date: July 31st 2016
Published by: Arthur A. Levine Books
Page numbers: 328

REVIEW: 

Well, to have never reviewed a single Harry Potter book simply because it's impossible to put feelings into words, and then to plan on writing a review for a book that has mixed reviews, is quite a task. There is no denying the fact that J.K. Rowling is a magician because her magical words and world made us feel belonged. But like Dumbledore once said, "magic creates more problems than it cures"; then again, magic works and perhaps that's what matters. 

Before reading: 31st July, 2016 was the most epic day in magical history as the day marked the release of the new 19 years later Harry Potter book, which coincided with the birthdays of our goddess and our hero. I was so overwhelmed that a new Harry Potter book was coming out, and I couldn't contain my excitement. I could not wait for my preorder to arrive and dive back into the world that made me fall in love with reading. 

While reading: Nostalgia is mad, but it's also adorable because it brings tears to your eyes and a smile to your face. That's exactly what happened with me while reading the book, but the very many glitches and potholes had me question the existence of it, because I, for one, was satisfied with the way Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ended. Nonetheless, going back to and adventuring with my first ever fictional and (let's be real) real friends was the most incredible feeling ever. 

After reading: The books that make me smile once I shut them are the ones that stay with me forever, and no matter what happened while reading, I smiled after reading, and in the end, that is what matters. While I did want the adventure to end, I did not want the story to end; I wanted to know more about my friends because I had no idea it would be so magical to meet them again. All negative points aside, this book was actually quite nice. 

Now that the stages are done, let's get onto the actual book. 

Plot: We all know that all was well, and most of us were happy with it. But when there was something new coming our way, we couldn't help feeling exhilarated and excited. Plot wise, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child was very interesting because it retained magic as we first knew it, but it also had plenty of new stuff to learn and understand. There were many tiny errors which could lead to major confusion, but in the end, all was well. 

Writing: Being a student of literature, I have learned to appreciate various forms of writing over the years. So whether Harry Potter comes back in the form of a novel, a play or even a poem, it does not matter to me; because it is the content that does everything. I was just happy that Harry Potter was back. Also, it's interesting to know that while reading plays, it's important to understand what's not written rather than what is. The writing seemed rushed, but it was quite great. 

Characters: I cannot even begin to tell you how happy I was to meet Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny and Draco again. While the story wasn't really about them, they were a major part of it and they rocked. Albus Severus Potter wasn't too bad, but it was Scorpius Malfoy who stole my heart, just like his father once had. It was like meeting your friends after a long, long time but realising that nothing has changed. I mean, these guys are my life! 

Overall verdict: I was very apprehensive to write this review, but I had to do it; to gather my own thoughts, if nothing else. I honestly couldn't care less how they come back, but so long as Harry Potter and his gang come back, I will read the book(s) and end up loving them. Always. 


Buy the book: AMAZON/ FLIPKART

4 comments:

  1. Ooh nice! Been reading lots of mixed reviews over this one. I have yet to decide if I want to read it because it didn't feel like true Harry Potter canon without Rowling at the helm. But lots of people seem to be enjoying this one! I might break down and give it a try one day! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I also loved Scorpius. He was an unexpected surprise, and now I want more books about him.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still scared to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "While I did want the adventure to end, I did not want the story to end" <-- this line in particular resonates with me though I share pretty much all your thoughts on this one. So many conflicting thoughts... so happy to see old friends again, make new favourites, though the plot was a bit bizarre and plot-holey... Ultimately I enjoyed it and I'm glad you did too. I applaud you for writing such a thoughtful review because I am not sure I will be able to manage a review for this one on my blog!

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!