Thursday, July 19, 2018

Review- Turtles All the Way Down by John Green

Turtles All the Way Down on Goodreads

 BOOK SUMMARY:

Sixteen-year-old Aza never intended to pursue the mystery of fugitive billionaire Russell Pickett, but there’s a hundred-thousand-dollar reward at stake and her Best and Most Fearless Friend, Daisy, is eager to investigate. So together, they navigate the short distance and broad divides that separate them from Russell Pickett’s son, Davis. Aza is trying. She is trying to be a good daughter, a good friend, a good student, and maybe even a good detective, while also living within the ever-tightening spiral of her own thoughts. In his long-awaited return,


Release date: October 10th 2017
Published by: Dutton Books for Young Readers
Page numbers: 304

REVIEW: 


Like most readers who have read and loved John Green's books in the past, I too was excited for Turtles All the Way Down. While it took me a really long time to get to it, when I finally did, I literally felt like I was at home with a John Green book in my hand. 

I have practically read every John Green book out there- The Fault in Our Stars, Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns, An Abundance of Katherines and Will Grayson, Will Grayson. When I finally got to Turtles All the Way Down, it was like any other John Green book where the teens talk like extremely mature adults, the protagonist is hard to like but the writing is incredible. 

Turtles All the Way Down is the story of Aza whose mental health is portrayed terrifically. While I found it extremely difficult to get used to and like Aza because of her- as her friend rightly puts it "narcissism", I did connect to her on a mental level. Aza meets up with her childhood friend Davis whose billionaire father has suddenly disappeared. There is a reward for the person who finds him. So Aza's friend Daisy takes up the task of doing some investigation.  

For a plot that sounds quite mysterious and interesting, it was neither mysterious nor interesting. Had the summary not mentioned anything about detectives and mysteries, I would've liked the book more because clearly it lacked a strong plot. While it barely took me a couple of days to finish the book, Turtles All the Way Down didn't really have me pumped up or excited to get back to it like some other books by the author have in the past. I hate saying this, but I was really disappointed. 

Although not his most incredible book, I would still recommend Turtles All the Way Down to fans of John Green for his brilliant writing, the on point portrayal of mental health, the superb character of Daisy and for the moment where you realise why it's called Turtles All the Way Down. I wasn't impressed by this one, but I'm glad I didn't miss it. 


Buy the book: AMAZON


1 comment:

  1. Too bad this one didn't grab you, Sarika. I've only read The Fault in Our Stars and need to get reading his other books. Great review!

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!