Thursday, June 29, 2017

Review- Marly's Ghost by David Levithan

Marly's Ghost on Goodreads

 BOOK SUMMARY:

Love and I once had a great relationship, but I fear we've broken up. It cheated on me.

When Ben’s girlfriend, Marly, dies, he feels his life is over and the prospect of Valentine’s day without her fills him with bitterness. But then Marly arrives – or at least, her ghost does – along with three other spirits. Now Ben must take a journey through Valentines past, present and future – and what he learns will change him forever.

A remix of Charles Dicksons's A Christmas Carol with a Valentine's twist and the Levithan magic.


Release date: January 8th 2015
Published by: Electric Monkey
Page numbers: 176

REVIEW: 


I literally go mad when I see David Levithan books in Indian bookstores and whenever that happens, I just have to buy the books. That's how I came across Marly's Ghost, which, very shockingly and disappointingly, I hadn't even heard of until I saw it and just couldn't resist purchasing a copy for myself. When I released that the book was less than 200 pages long or short, I decided to give it a go.

In its essence, Marly's Ghost is a very David Levithan-esque book, and by that I mean that it portrays very complicated and deep but daily thoughts in a very simple manner. When Ben's girlfriend Marly dies, her ghost pays him a visit followed by three more spirits who end up teaching Ben practically everything he needs to know to move on. Like every male character by the author, Ben was also very cool, smart and extremely likeable.


While I did really like this short, simple and stunning book, I have to admit that I do have some mixed feelings about it, because I wish it were longer and I also wish it were more complex. I'm not saying that the book wasn't great, because it was, but I just wish it gave me more. Other than that, however, the story was very intriguing and unique, which I thoroughly admire.


Overall, Marly's Ghost is a nice read for young readers. It definitely doesn't live up to the other books by King Levithan, but it still managed to leave an imprint on my heart because of the very lovely and clean message that it came with. And as usual, the writing made the book and the story more stunning.

Buy the book: AMAZON

1 comment:

  1. Nice review. As my age increases my choice of book selection changed too. "Young readers" is tough tag for me to enjoy nowadays. But as per the suggestion will try other books of David.

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!