Thursday, March 14, 2019

Review- Exit West by Mohsin Hamid

Exit West on Goodreads

 BOOK SUMMARY:

In a country teetering on the brink of civil war, two young people meet—sensual, fiercely independent Nadia and gentle, restrained Saeed. They embark on a furtive love affair and are soon cloistered in a premature intimacy by the unrest roiling their city. When it explodes, turning familiar streets into a patchwork of checkpoints and bomb blasts, they begin to hear whispers about doors—doors that can whisk people far away, if perilously and for a price. As the violence escalates, Nadia and Saeed decide that they no longer have a choice. Leaving their homeland and their old lives behind, they find a door and step through. 

Exit West follows these characters as they emerge into an alien and uncertain future, struggling to hold on to each other, to their past, to the very sense of who they are. Profoundly intimate and powerfully inventive, it tells an unforgettable story of love, loyalty, and courage that is both completely of our time and for all time.


Release date: March 7th 2017
Published by: Riverhead
Page numbers: 231

REVIEW: 


How do I even begin writing this review? I remember I was completely floored by author Mohsin Hamid's writing when I read his The Reluctant Fundamentalist a few years ago. There was something very captivating about his writing and something very engaging about his storytelling that made me want to keep an eye on him as I was sure I wanted to read more by the author. So when I heard about Exit West, I did not even bother finding out what the book was about, but I got a copy for myself and began reading.

I was not prepared for the emotionally intense ride that was Exit West. In this book, Hamid begins with a very normal day in a very normal- albeit nameless- country, where two people, Saeed and Nadia, meet and keep meeting until the normalcy turns to crisis. With disaster striking their country and with the situation getting worse, they are compelled to move somewhere else through something called the "doors", which was the only fantastical- or as Hamid puts it "magical realism"- element in the book. This way, they keep moving through doors which take them from Greece to England to America.

While watching Hamid's interviews where he talks about Exit West, I noticed that what he insists on in each of them is that the book is not so much about how people move but more about what makes them move. And by move, he means leaving everything and everyone you know behind and just go somewhere hoping there is a better life there. Hence, the concept of these "doors" is not as important as compared to exactly why Saeed and Nadia take them.

What this book made me do is it made me understand the entire concept of refugees, immigration, migration and crisis that the world faces; which is something I was only vaguely aware of initially. I actually ended up doing heaps of research on this topic, and for me, that is a duty well done on the author's part because he created awareness and made me, as a reader, want to know more about the condition and situation that we are in right now. If could say one word to Hamid, it would probably just be a small but very true thank you that would come straight from my heart.

If you are looking for a light read and a book that makes you escape reality for a while, Exit West is not the one for you. The book hits you in the face with reality and is emotionally splendid.


Mohsin Hamid's interview with Wall Street Journal on YouTube

Buy the book: AMAZON


No comments:

Post a Comment


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!