Sunday, February 02, 2014

Review- Vain by Fisher Amelie

Summary-

If you’re looking for a story about a good, humble girl, who’s been hurt by someone she thought she could trust, only to find out she’s not as vulnerable as she thought she was and discovers an empowering side of herself that falls in love with the guy who helps her find that self, blah, blah, blah...then you’re gonna’ hate my story.

Because mine is not the story you read every time you bend back the cover of the latest trend novel. It’s not the “I can do anything, now that I’ve found you/I’m misunderstood but one day you’ll find me irresistible because of it” tale. Why? Because, if I was being honest with you, I’m a complete witch. There’s nothing redeeming about me. I’m a friend using, drug abusing, sex addict from Los Angeles. I’m every girlfriend’s worst nightmare and every boy’s fantasy.

I’m Sophie Price...And this is the story about how I went from the world’s most envied girl to the girl no one wanted around and why I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.

Review-

I had read so many amazing reviews of Vain and I was seeing so much that it was a different new adult read that I finally picked it up. I am happy to say that Vain was a very unique read and I really liked it. It is difficult to make me love a character whom I hate in the beginning but Fisher Amelie has done that. Vain was a really good read.

Sophie Price has it all. She's the girl all boys want to sleep with and all the girls want to be friends with but secretly they hate her. And Sophie knows it. She knows how beautiful she is. She knows she is rich enough to do whatever she wants and buy whatever she wants. In one simple word Sophie is a bitch and for the first 20% of the book I hated her.

But Sophie is not only a bitch. She has more going on inside her head and the facade she puts on is to protect herself more than anything else. When Sophie gets in trouble she can't get out of, she is sentenced to spend six months in a remote village in Uganda and help in an orphanage. That's when things change.

Vain opened my eyes to a lot of things. The comfortable world we live in means so little when we see real suffering. We are just so ignorant and missing the real importance in life which is humanity. I loved seeing all this through Sophie's eyes. It also helps when she meets the sexy, Ian. The romance between Sophie and Ian was surprisingly clean for a new adult book.

I loved how Fisher Amelie portrayed the world Sophie lived in. Her writing style was clear and descriptive and beautiful. Vain is a really good book but it wasn't mind blowing for me. The ending happened a bit too fast for me and some things are left open. Still I would recommend Vain to everyone looking to read something different.



1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you liked this one Janhvi! :) I did too once upon a time. I do agree about the ending of this one, it was a bit open but I though it would be more connected to Greed. Sadly it wasn't. Great review, Janhvi :)

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!