Thursday, May 08, 2014

Review- World After by Susan Ee

Summary-

In this sequel to the bestselling fantasy thriller, Angelfall, the survivors of the angel apocalypse begin to scrape back together what's left of the modern world.

When a group of people capture Penryn's sister Paige, thinking she's a monster, the situation ends in a massacre. Paige disappears. Humans are terrified. Mom is heartbroken.

Penryn drives through the streets of San Francisco looking for Paige. Why are the streets so empty? Where is everybody? Her search leads her into the heart of the angels' secret plans where she catches a glimpse of their motivations, and learns the horrifying extent to which the angels are willing to go.

Meanwhile, Raffe hunts for his wings. Without them, he can't rejoin the angels, can't take his rightful place as one of their leaders. When faced with recapturing his wings or helping Penryn survive, which will he choose?

Review-

I read World After right after I finished Angelfall because I just had to find out what happens next with Penryn and Raffe. While I still loved World After I can't say I enjoyed it as much as Angelfall. Still, World After was a thrilling sequel.

Penryn finally is reunited with her sister and mother. But so many things have changed after the events of Angelfall. Nothing is the same. When Paige, Penryn's younger sister gets captured by a group of people who think she is a monster, Penryn will do everything in her power to get her back. Except this time she doesn't have Raffe. She has to do it on her own.

I loved Penryn just as much in this book. She is one of the best heroines I've read and I always enjoy being in her head and seeing her thought processes. Penryn was on her own in this book. She was still protective and had a great sense of humor but you could also see her longing for Raffe. I loved how the whole thing was portrayed with just the right amout of emotions.

The reason I slightly didn't enjoy this book as much as the first one is Raffe. I missed him. A LOT. I wanted more of him but we only get to see him after about 75%. Also, when Raffe and Penryn get reunited they are still at the same point as the last book. I would have loved to see more progress in their relationship. I know it is hard to hope when the world is ending but I still wanted more.

But never the less World After was full of action. The gruesome scenes continue and we go deeper into the angel politics. Complicated is a tame word to use in this series. Susan Ee has a fantastic writing style and the wait for the next book is long but I'm sure it'll be worth it. I enjoyed World After.



5 comments:

  1. I haven't read World After yet but nearly every review I've read mentions missing Raffe. Actually that's probably why I haven't read it yet because he was my favorite character lol. Good review, glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like a little more romance in my books so it's disappointing to hear Raffe doesn't appear until the 75% mark. :(
    I'm waiting for the last book to release before I pick this up because there was something like 2 1/2 years of wait time between the first book and this one. Wonderful review, Janhvi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got me interested in this series. Now I want to grab book 1 and read it! It's a little sad about Raffe, that we won't get much of him until that far into book 2. Great review!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't like that that there was so little of him in this book too, but it still was a great read. I can't for the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That were my thoughts exactly when it came to Raffe, I was hoping that he would turn up in the next chapter and the next and to be honest, the lack of him in this book really was a let down for me, but like you I did enjoy this book overall! Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!