Thursday, April 06, 2017

Review- Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Hi, guys! So I read Thirteen Reasons Why a long, long time ago, and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to bring out this review that's been collecting dust in my drafts. I'm posting it now in honour of the web series on the book being started. 

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

 BOOK SUMMARY:


Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.
On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.
Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.

Release date: June 14th 2011
Published by: Razorbill
Page numbers: 288

REVIEW: 

I actually came across Jay Asher's Thirteen Reasons Why when I read and reviewed a book called 34 Pieces of You by Carmen Rodrigues. A great number of reviewers compared the latter to the former and while I wasn't very fond of 34 Pieces of You myself, I was highly intrigued by Thirteen Reasons Why since I love suicide plot lines. I was on a hunt for the book since then and once I got it, I couldn't wait to devour it. Somewhere, I feel I was going to like this book anyhow, anyway, no matter what. And that's what I did. 

Thirteen Reasons Why is the story of Hannah, who leaves a packet of thirteen tapes that she recorded before committing suicide and that she wishes are passed around to nine people, who were, in some minute and tiny way, responsible for her giving up on life. The person from whose point of view we read the book and listen to the tapes is Clay. From the beginning, I was hoping for some dangerous and torturous reason why Clay was on the tape, but the real reason left me awestruck. It was breathtaking in its own way. I loved the story the two shared. 

I read that the book made readers change the way they are. It left them feeling that being nice is the least and the best thing one can do to anyone else. Jay Asher actually shows how something that we do- that might seem insignificant and silly to us- actually has an impact on someone else. It affects their life and the way they look at things. I admire stories that go beyond the ordinary and explore what really lies underneath all the covers and masks that we built. 

Thirteen Reasons Why is an intriguing, peculiar and completely mind-blowing story that's written in a very somber yet sparkling and slightly creepy manner. I literally couldn't put the book down. Once I read a few pages, I had to read a few more and that kept me occupied for the time that it took me to read the book. It was highly addictive and really well put down. I especially love the way it  ended- it was perfect. It's a book that's going to stay with me. 


Buy the book: AMAZON (IN)


1 comment:

  1. I heard about this book only after the web series.i have taken a decision whatever it could be i have to read the book before I watch the series and that includes GOT and 13 reasons why. "The song if ice and fire" is in my book shelf and waiting for right time. 13 reasons why I have buy it soon.

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!