Monday, July 08, 2019

Review- Breaking the Rules by Katie McGarry

Summary-

A summer road trip changes everything in this unforgettable new tale from acclaimed author Katie McGarry

For new high school graduate Echo Emerson, a summer road trip out west with her boyfriend means getting away and forgetting what makes her so... different. It means seeing cool sights while selling her art at galleries along the way. And most of all, it means almost three months alone with Noah Hutchins, the hot, smart, soul-battered guy who’s never judged her. Echo and Noah share everything — except the one thing Echo’s just not ready for.

But when the source of Echo’s constant nightmares comes back into her life, she has to make some tough decisions about what she really wants — even as foster kid Noah’s search for his last remaining relatives forces them both to confront some serious truths about life, love, and themselves.

Now, with one week left before college orientation, jobs and real life, Echo must decide if Noah's more than the bad-boy fling everyone warned her he'd be. And the last leg of an amazing road trip will turn... seriously epic.



Release date: December 8th 2014
Published by: Harlequin Teen
Page numbers: 304

Review-

I had loved Echo and Noah in Pushing The Limits so I was really excited to get to Breaking the Rules. I love Katie McGarry's writing style and would probably read anything by her. I had more expectations out of Breaking the Rules which were not completely met so I think Breaking the Rules was an okay read for me. 

Breaking the Rules takes place in the last week of the road trip which Echo and Noah take at the end of Pushing the Limits. Firstly, I didn't understand the point of Breaking the Rules taking place in this time line because we do see Echo and Noah in Dare You To and Crash Into You as a couple so the conflict kinda lost its point. But anyways, besides that I felt that the problems between Echo and Noah were a bit forced.

I missed seeing Echo and Noah confide in each other and be each other's safe place, like in Pushing the Limits. Some of the arguments and misunderstanding they had between them seemed a bit childish to me. It was clear Echo and Noah loved each other deeply but they didn't have a communication problem before which suddenly came up in Breaking the Rules.

I liked seeing Echo trying to move on from  the death of her brother Aires. I did feel she was a bit self centered at times not thinking of what Noah is going through with his brothers and only focusing on her problems. I wanted to see more progress of Noah with his brothers which unfortunately we don't get to see. There are issues shown with his other relatives which I felt were quite irrelevant. 

I loved seeing Beth and Isaiah in Breaking the Rules. Echo and Noah were also not as bad as I've probably made them sound but I just expected more out of them. We get a happy for now ending but still I felt that there should have been more progress in Breaking the Rules. It was an okay read for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!