Thursday, September 03, 2015

Review- More Than This by Jay McLean

Summary-

*Mikayla*
In one night my fairytale ended. Or it may have begun. This is my story of friendship and love, heartbreak and desire, and the strength to show weakness.

*Jake*
One night I met a girl. A sad and broken girl, but one more beautiful than any other. She laughed through her sadness, while I loved through her heartbreak.

*This is our story of a maybe ever after.*

He was right. It made no difference whether it was 6 months or 6 years. 
I couldn’t undo what had been done. I couldn’t change the future.
I couldn’t even predict it. 
It was one night.
One night when everything changed.
It was so much more than just the betrayal.
It was the Tragedy. 
The Deaths. 
The Murders.
But it was also that feeling.
The feeling of falling.

Review-

I'd read a ton of really great reviews of More Than This by Jay McLean and that got me really curious to see how the book was. More Than This was a good read. I can't say that is blew me away though. The characters were good and I WAS hooked from the beginning but I did have a few issues with it.

Our heroine is Mikayla. On the night of her prom Kayla finds out that her boyfriend of 4 years cheated on her repeatedly with her best friend. And then things get way worse as the night comes to an end. The only good thing about it is Jake. I liked Mikayla. I wouldn't wish for anyone to have to go through what she did. She was a strong girl but I didn't like her uncertainty sometimes.

Then we have Jake. When Jake stumbles upon Mikayla one night. He doesn't expect to be attracted to her so quickly. Nor does he expect her night to be so shitty. So he helps her out. I liked Jake. He was really sweet and protective of Kayla. I liked how he always wanted to be there for her, putting her first.

Jake and Kayla made for a sweet couple. Well not really a couple because their relationship isn't defined for most of the book. There was an intimacy to their relationship and all in all it was good. What I didn't like though was that almost all the angst in the book was due to one of them always jumping to weird conclusions without talking to the other about it. I got a bit irritated when that happened one too many times.

We also get to meet all of Jake's friends in this book. I am so curious to see how each of their stories will turn out. I know Logan has the next book but the one I'm really excited for is Cam and Lucy's. More Than This did have a teenagerish feel to it even though it was new adult. But the book kept me hooked. I liked More than This.



No comments:

Post a Comment


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!