Sunday, May 05, 2013

Review- Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Summary-

Clara has known she was part-angel ever since she turned fourteen two years ago, but only now is her Purpose - the crucial rite of passage for every part-angel - becoming clear to her. Clara′s Purpose leads her family to Wyoming, where, amidst terrifying scenes of a bush inferno, she finds the boy of her visions, Christian. He is everything she could wish for - so why does she also have feelings for her enigmatic classmate Tucker?

Clara discovers that her Purpose is only a small part of a titanic struggle between angels and their destructive counterparts, the Black Wings. And when the fire of her visions erupts and both Christian and Tucker are in danger, who will she choose to save?

Review-

After reading several fabulous reviews for the whole of the Unearthly series I just knew that I had to give it a try just to find out what the hype was with Tucker and Christian. I can certainly say that the book lives up to the high praises thrown its way. With its unique take on angels and a very realistic love triangle Unearthly was an enjoyable read.

Clara is a part angel and she has known this since she turned fourteen. She gets visions which indicate her Purpose which she has to complete to fulfill her duty. Its a crucial rite of passage for every part angel. This leads her family to Wyoming where she meets Christian who's the boy in her visions and she thinks she needs to save him to complete her Purpose. But by a string of incidents she also has feelings for her friend Wendy's twin brother Tucker.

Clara was an extremely genuine character who was easy to understand. She was a normal girl who was struggling to fit in with her new found angel status and all the baggage that came with it. Her feelings for Tucker and Christian are so equally divided that you could see her struggle to choose between them. Not one time did I feel that she was whiny or that she just couldn't make up her mind and choose one guy. I am not a big fan of love triangles so I was impressed by how well this was portrayed.

Christian is the boy from Clara's visions. He has everything she could want in a guy. He's popular, smart and athletic with a pinch of mysterious brooding to increase his appeal that much more. He seemed like the perfect guy but there were one or two incidences which made me sway towards Tucker's side because of Christian's actions. Tucker at first always seems to get on Clara's nerves. But opposites attract and when finally Tucker and Clara came together it was amazing.

The romance was slow and real. Not too mushy but just enough that it made it swoony. Unearthly is completely told from Clara's point of view and in the present tense. I enjoyed being in her head. The only thing is that the book picked up its pace after about 200 pages so you need to be a little patient for things to start happening. Overall Unearthly was a good read and I want to find out more about the war between the angels and the Black Wings. I give Unearthly 4 Owls.



   

4 comments:

  1. I agree with almost everything you said! I really liked Cynthia Hand's new take on angels, it was really fresh and original (and much better than any other angel book I've read, except for Laini Taylor's). I did have a hard time connecting with Clara at first, but I ended up liking her. And, like you said, the romance was nicely done. I loved Tucker much more than Christian, though. I was never a big fan of him.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I STILL have to pick this one up– after all the raving reviews, I haven't been able to get my hands on a copy of the book! I like how the main character isn't whinny and the love triangle is portrayed well :) That's one thing that generally annoys me in paranormal YA :P Great review!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my opinion this series only gets better and better! :) I really hope you'll enjoy the rest of this series. Great review Janhvi :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never read this series or heard of it. Its definitely now on my too be read pile!!

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!