Saturday, January 16, 2021

Review- Dystopia by Manoj V Jain


 BOOK SUMMARY:

How was your journey to Dystopia? Was it full of joy, freedom, rebellion, anger, shame or guilt?

THE BOOK

Children start their travels in the blissful kingdom of Shambala, a beautiful land, where they are protected and taken care of. They enter Shambala as little infants, trusting their parents and caregivers. The children continue on their journey, skipping along the path till they reach a dark forbidding gate, which like some powerful vacuum sucks them inside and into the next kingdom of Dystopia. I am their guide there and I will oversee their journey in this new land.

In his latest book, Manoj Jain discusses themes of childhood pain, growing up, teenage angst, role identities and parenting.

The story, guided by the spirit of Dystopia, is set in a small dinner party, a reunion among five friends. During the course of the evening, they uncover the source of various past wounds and resolve why a young girl had to kill herself at eighteen.


Release date: August 6th 2018
Published by: Independently published
Page numbers: 154

REVIEW: 

Having read author Manoj V Jain’s The B.N.O and Meeting Yama, I was honestly looking forward to reading Dystopia as well, another book I won in the giveaway by @writingbuddha. Even though I now have immense respect for the author, I had no expectations whatsoever from this book and the summary itself sounded just about interesting to me. Little did I know that this would be another book of the author that I’d not just finish in a day but be fully immersed in.

A book that’s less than 150 pages short or long depending on how you look at it, Dystopia is narrated in a manner so astonishing that even though the author clearly mentions that it could get confusing, it doesn’t because of how marvellously it is done. Certain parts of this book are narrated by Dystopia which is the voice and soul of adolescent. Other parts follow the story of five school friends who meet after years to reconnect, with flashbacks from their younger days. Short reads are very difficult, in the sense that they tend to leave something behind, something unsaid and undone... but Manoj V Jain has done it in the most skilful and precise manner where you will know everything about everyone and so much more in a book that has less than five chapters.

This is one of those books that no matter what I say, it will not be enough and mostly importantly, it will not do justice to the absolutely exquisite, unique and incredible story that is Dystopia. An ending that will leave the reader feeling shattered yet fulfilled, this is a slightly dark and deep read that’s also an emotional rollercoaster. Luckily for me, this is just the way I like my stories, so I am thrilled that it somehow found its way on my shelf. I am speechless- this was a marvellous read.




No comments:

Post a Comment


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!