Thursday, December 06, 2012

Character Interview- Ian Finnerty from Angel by Laura Lee

For the first-ever Character Interview at The Readdicts, we have with us the ever graceful, charming and absolutely stunning, Ian Finnerty, from Laura Lee's Angel

I wish to dedicate this entire post to Ian, which is why I'm only providing the links to all the details about the book. Make sure you check them out whilst admiring Ian! 





Now quickly, dear readers, on to the most anticipated part of the post! 
Ian Finnerty! 

Hello Ian! It's lovely to have you on our blog, The Readdicts  Oh, you truly are stunning! *gasps* *amazed at how stunning Ian really is* 



Anyways, I hope you have a great time answering our questions!

Q. Tell us something about yourself that no one else knows!

Ian: 
That's a hard one.  I mean, I've had a lot of weird sh... can you say that on your blog? A lot of weird stuff in my life, but most people know that.  If you ask me something I'll tell you. 

Me: As long as it's coming from you and we get to hear your sing-song voice, Ian, anything is fine!

Q.  Share with us a life-changing experience.

Ian:  
There were lots of them.  Some of them not so good.  The best one was Paul.  He was just this minister in a church where they had an AA meeting, and I'd get nervous walking into a church, like the this shaft of light would shine on me and the voice of the God police would say, “What are you doing in here?” 

I was a mess, trying so hard just to hold it together.  I came out of this meeting, and I don't know why I noticed him and remembered him.  My memory was like Swiss cheese.  This minister standing there arranging these fliers, and he was so intent on it.  It seemed like that was his whole world.  Like he didn't have any problems.  I was jealous of him having such a simple life.  Of course, I didn't know him then.  I just assumed he had no problems. 

You know, there's this thing.  They always say that “the first step is admitting you have a problem.”  That's bullsh... Sorry, I mean, I knew I had a problem.  I'd known I was an alcoholic for years.  Why do you think addicts work so hard to hide how much they use?  They know.  They just don't want you to know how bad it is, or you might make them stop.  I was in some kind of denial though, it was like... My denial was that there was any reason to stop.  You know what I mean?  I couldn't see myself having a life that it was worth getting sober for.  So that's where I was when I ran into this uptight, nervous minister fussing over these pamphlets. 

He said this thing, I'll never forget it.  He said, “I have faith in you.”  It doesn't sound like a lot, but no one was around saying anything like that to me.  I just thought, “Well, maybe.”  He stuck me in rehab, and I didn't want to let him down.  And here I am.

Me: Aww! Go on...

OK, I just thought of something about me most people don't know-- from your first question.  You know what it is?  It's kind of like my life is inside out.  The stuff that everyone knows about me is the kind of stuff that other people keep secret.  If you say, “Ian Finnerty” they'll say, “Oh yeah, he's a drunk,” or “He's gay.”  or “His mother threw him out and he was homeless.” That's the kind of stuff people try to hide, but everybody knows my “dark secrets.”  What people don't know about me is that I'm really a boring guy.  I want boring stuff like a home, someone to spend my life with.  Happily ever after.  That kind of thing.  If nothing remotely interesting happened in my life ever again I'd be totally cool with that.  I'm not a rebel.  I do jump into things and think later and get myself in trouble.  But that's different from being a rebel.  That's just being impulsive and stupid.


Q. After reading Angel, it is obvious that you like to experiment with food and cook different stuff.
 Where does your love of food come from?

Ian:  
I always did the cooking when I was a kid because my mom worked most of the time.  So I know how.  Being able to cook something, and having someone to cook for, it's all part of my devious plan.  If a guy starts associating you with getting fed, maybe he'll want to keep you around.  It's a primal thing.

Part of it is being sober too, probably.  When you get sober-- in AA they call it “the pink cloud,” it's when you're all sort of drunk on being sober.  You know what I mean?  You have all of these sensations you'd been shutting down.  I just wanted to try every flavor and experience everything I'd been missing.  Like, the first time I had sex sober, I was scared to death.  I'd never done that my whole life.  I was vulnerable.  He was vulnerable.  But, actually, that's what made it great.   It's good to feel everything.  With food too, it's good to taste everything and smell everything.

I said this to Paul one time.  I said, “Have you ever noticed how everything has so much more flavor when you're not drunk?”  He laughed at me.  He said something like “I don't notice being 'not drunk,' I call that  normal life.” 

Q. What is your favourite food/cuisine?

Ian: 
I like spicy stuff, Thai, Indian.  But really, my favorite is anything I haven't tried before.  The best part is when you go in the store and there is some crazy tropical fruit and you're not even sure how you eat it.  It has all this possibility.  You know what I mean?  Like a whole new flavor you never even knew existed.  Half the time when you get it home it just tastes like a pear with more prickers and seeds.  But I don't care really, because you have this moment to imagine there's going to be this whole new world of flavor you never knew about.  So that's my favorite food.  Something I haven't tried yet.

Me: Yay! He likes Indian food! Aren't guys who like to cook just adorable? Damn! I'd love to live with Ian if he were straight! 

Q. I'm sure you are well aware of your charm and grace. *stares and admires Ian's looks*
Have you ever used your looks to get something done?

Ian: 
No, not like that.  I mean, not like, “I am going to use my charm and looks now and manipulate this person into giving me what I want.”  I like people.  I'm interested in people.  That's not manipulation.  If you like people they usually like you, and they want to do stuff for you.

Q. Do you have a favourite pick-up line? If yes, then what is it?

Ian:  
Pick up line?  No way.  I mean.  OK.  When I was going to the clubs a lot and I wanted guys to buy me drinks-- you want them to come up to you, not the other way around.  So they're making the move and they're buying.  So you sit nearby, and you make a little eye contact.  It's all body language.  Nobody wants to be rejected.  So you have to invite each other before anybody starts talking.  By then it doesn't matter much what you say unless you totally blow it.

Q. What do you normally do when a woman tries to get too close to you (physically/sexually)?


Ian:  
I say, “Sorry, I'm gay.”  That works.  I mean, it is weird sometimes when you get a friend who says she wants to be “just friends,” but she wants to be “just friends” in a real intense way.  You just have to be clear about things so you don't hurt anybody's feelings.  But I don't think that's just a gay thing.  I think everybody's had someone who was more into them than the other way around and it's not a lot of fun. 

Me: There go all the fantasies! *sigh*


Q.You mostly wear band tee-shirts! What is your favourite band?

Ian:  
I like all kinds of stuff.  I'll go online and search around, I don't care if it's new or old.  Right now I'm listening to The XX and sort of vegging out.  Churchill is good for relaxing too. I just have a crazy mix of stuff on my ipod.  Audioslave, The Killers, Muse. Misfits, Black Keys.  Soundgarden. The Thermals.  Of Monsters and Men.  Feeder.  The Neighbourhood.  Seether.  Massive Attack.  Nirvana.  Beatles.  Bowie.  Psychedelic 60s stuff.  I've got some Motown on there. I found this band called The Rake's Progress I'm sort of into now.  They had an album called Cheese Food Prostitute, so you've gotta love that.  I like the song “When I Kiss Her.”  Sometimes I'll just buy a CD at a garage sale or something because I like the cover.  If it sucks you're only out like 50c. 

Q. What is your favourite pass-time?

Ian: 
I like music and old science fiction movies.  I don't like reading.  I don't like to sit still that long. But I like to talk to smart people.  I let them read the books and they can tell me what they read.

Q. Assuming you had the power to change only one thing about your life, what would you like to change?

Ian: 
I only get one?  That's no fair.  You realize I'm really fu... I mean, I'm really screwed up, right?  I absolutely need at least three wishes.  OK, If I only had one, it would have to be the alcoholism thing.  Drinking is fun.  It's social.  I'd like to be able to do it without totally falling off the wagon.  If I could wave a magic wand and make that possible, that's the thing I'd change. 

Me: Thank you so much for being here and sharing your thoughts and experiences with us, Ian!

Ian: 
Thanks for letting me ramble.

Anytime, Ian! 
Me: I'm afraid it's time to say goodbye, but I wish you have a life filled with happiness and great times ahead! God bless, and we hope to see you at The Readdicts another time! 

I hope you loved Ian and his answers as much as I did! 
Author Laura Lee has also done a Character Interview post with Paul

Sarika

5 comments:

  1. this is awesome Sarika! it was great to learn more about Ian. you read the book as well and i know you'd agree with me that there wasn't much information about Ian there. it was focused more on Paul and his feelings, etc. this interview cleared up some things about our 'Angel.' thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. one more thing - congrats on your first character interview! you couldn't have chosen a more interesting persona. :)

      Delete
    2. I absolutely agree with you, Ao. As a character, Ian is stunning and it would have been interesting to know more about him. The book was from Paul's POV, so we only got snippets about Ian and that too from what Paul saw. I'm glad that this post has made us get to know our 'Angel' better.
      I knew you'd like this post, thank you for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for giving Ian a chance to speak. Over at my blog today is an interview with Paul.
    http://lauraleeauthor.wordpress.com/2012/12/06/snowy-reading-blog-hop-paul-tobits-winter-thoughts/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, Laura! Thank you for letting us have Ian here. ;)

      Delete


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!