Sunday, December 02, 2012

Review- Flawed by Kate Avelynn

Summary-

Sarah O’Brien is alive because of the pact she and her brother made twelve years ago — James will protect her from their violent father if she promises to never leave him. For years, she’s watched James destroy his life to save hers. If all he asks for in return is her affection, she’ll give it freely.

Until, with a tiny kiss and a broken mind, he asks for more than she can give.

Sam Donavon has been James’ best friend — and the boy Sarah’s had a crush on — for as long as she can remember. As their forbidden relationship deepens, Sarah knows she’s in trouble. Quiet, serious Sam has decided he’s going to save her. Neither of them realizes James is far more unstable than her father ever was, or that he’s not about to let Sarah forget her half of the pact . . .

Review-

I was awaiting the release of Flawed since a really long time. The blurb made it sound different and unique. I wanted to dive in and explore it. Maybe my expectations were too high but I was sorely disappointed in the book as a whole.

Flawed is told from Sarah's point of view. She lives in a home with a drug addicted mother and a drunk abusive father. Having no one else to rely on she and her brother James depend on each other for anything and everything. James promises to protect Sarah from their violent father if she promises never to leave him.

I could not relate to Sarah at all. She was not a perfect person and that was fine but I just felt so many times that she could have done things differently. All the lying and guilt and secrets made it difficult for me to sympathize with her and her situation. Then comes in Sam, the typical older brother's best friend trying to save her.

Sam was a seemingly perfect guy but I felt that he just did not stand up for himself or for Sarah when the time actually came. His too perfectness and too much of sweetness made it hard for me to make it believable. Then adding to all this is James' attraction to Sarah. He's in love with his sister. The whole incest situation was also not well explored. Instead of making me feel all the emotions Sarah's going through in the book it just made me want to get it over with.

The end was not at all satisfying. Maybe the point of it was to shock the readers with all the torture but it completely failed to do so. I wanted there to be more. More substance. The book aimed for dark and depressing but it wasn't - in a good way at least. All the angst and drama portrayed in the book failed to touch me and sadly the book was a flop for me. 


 X 2.5
                   Janhvi

                                                        

4 comments:

  1. Wow I can't believe but I totally disagree! This book really shook me to the core. I get your points but I haven't felt any of that. For me every Sarah's decision has some reason. I just could understand all that.
    Still your points are good, maybe someone will feel the same.
    We're all not the same!
    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it either! I don't know why I felt so disconnected with this book. Don't know if I just wasn't in the mood for an intense book or what but I'm glad you enjoyed it :)
      I'm sure very few people felt the same way as me but it is how it is :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah! It happens...sometime you just read the book in the wrong time. :)
      Yeah but still you've got some good arguments :)

      Delete
  2. I couldn't get over the ending either. I wanted there to be more hope but it just ends and I was not happy :/

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!