Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday #1

Top Ten Tuesday is a bookish meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's topic is about the things we encounter while we are reading and it totally turns you off. Different from the topic we did this summer about things that turn us off before we even START the book.


My Top 10 Bookish Turn Offs are:

1. Judge mental Characters:
I HATE judge mental characters. A big example Cam from Down London Road. I cannot stand such characters and they instantly turn me off towards the book.

2. Cheating:
I do not like cheating characters. At all. I usually try to avoid books with cheating. I admire loyalty as a trait so cheating is a big NO.

3. Rude or whiny characters:
Characters who keep on whining about their situation are really irritating. Go and do something about it and stop whining. I also don't like characters who are rude for no reason.

4. Grammatical errors:
I really don't like it when I catch grammatical errors or typos in the case. I understand that there are honest mistakes but it takes a bit of enjoyment out of my reading.

5. Insta Love:
I like slow burn romances for some reason. Insta love to me is a bit unbelievable so yeah, insta love turns me off from a book.

6. Length of the book:
I have a short ish attention span. If I can't finish a book with say, 3 days I tend to get bored with it So super long books, I try to avoid.

7. Too perfect characters:
I liked flawed characters. People make mistakes and I easily relate to that. Too perfect, do gooders make them unreal and I don't like it then.

8. Pregnancy Plot lines:
Especially in new adult books. No, just no. I feel that the couple is obligated to be together because of the pregnancy and the true love factor kinda decreases. I want the happy ending on its own.

9. Long internal monologues/ descriptions:
Like I said, my mind wanders away if there's too much description. I get bored. I want something to be happening in the book while I'm reading. The book has to have a good pace to keep my interest.

10. Unhappy Endings:
I am a sucker for happy endings. After spending time with the characters from a book, I want them to be content when I leave them behind. I ~think~ I can take unhappy endings but only up to a point and that too if I'm mentally prepared for it.

What are your bookish turn offs?

8 comments:

  1. Too perfect characters, yes yes yes! :D Such an annoying things. And insta love made my list as well. Infodumps suck too, and sad endings aren't too much fun either.
    Good list!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you're doing this meme now :) I agree with all your picks and I hate all of these too. Except for unhappy endings - I usually love them ;) Great list Janhvi :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like Insta-Lov as well. It's so predictable and completely unbelievable. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judge mental Characters, Cheating, Unhappy endings, Insta-Love, Pregnancy plot, Rude and whiny characters...yup you covered all turn offs! perfect list Janhvi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOh nice ones!! I don't like cheating either. And when I see it happen I start to get really angry, especially when the character won't break it off with one of the "lovers". Luckily, I don't come across it too much in my kind of reads!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whiny characters were on my list too! They drive me crazy.

    New follower! :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dislike whiny characters and cheaters too! And I love a happy ending, I am so let down by an unhappy one. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes yes yes to pregnancy plot lines, unhappy endings and grammatical errors! Awesome post, girls! (:

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!