Sunday, February 24, 2013

Review- Point Of Retreat by Colleen Hoover

Goodreads Summary:

Hardships and heartache brought them together…now it will tear them apart. 

Layken and Will have proved their love can get them through anything; until someone from Will’s past re-emerges, leaving Layken questioning the very foundation on which their relationship was built. Will is forced to face the ultimate challenge…how to prove his love for a girl who refuses to stop ‘carving pumpkins.’


Slammed series:


REVIEW:

Slammed had me go all 'oh.... wow' and I had the exact same reaction while reading Point Of Retreat. Seriously, these books are so full of fun, laughter, heartbreak and emotion, they make you feel great. Just like Slammed, Point Of Retreat was also an all-rounder- the perfect read.
Point Of Retreat kicks of a year after where Slammed ended. You can read my review of Slammed here
Layken and Will have fallen into a nice routine and are now used to having each other around when some unexpected reappearances and basic questions about the foundation of their relationship lead to heartbreak. 
Point Of Retreat is from Will's point of view and the guy's POV is always fresh, raw, uncut, clean and super cool. Will's was no different. This book has only made me appreciate and admire Will even more. This book has truly made Will a swoon-worthy hero. I loved his maturity, his sensibility, the way he treated those who are important to him with care and respect. But above all I loved how much he was into Lake and everything that he did to show her he loves her and prove his dedication to her. 
Some really major events take place in Point Of Retreat and Will was so controlled, calm and cool. His relationships with his brother Caulder, Lake's brother Kel and their new, adorable and hilarious neighbour Kiersten were really smooth and lovely. 
Lake's role is Point Of Retreat was just as significant as Will's. Having read Slammed from her point of view, it was easy to understand why she did certain things in a certain way. I really appreciated how Lake handled all the situations and her love for her brother Kel and Will's brother Caulder was visible. 
Lake's best friend Eddie and her boyfriend Gavin (who is now Will's best friend) were again their adorable selves. In spite of their own personal problems, they again proved their selflessness by constantly sticking with both Lake and Will. I seriously hope against hope the adorable couple get their own story! Please, Colleen!  
Caulder and Kel were superb in this one. It was really nice to see them grow up and yet at times, it was totally heart wrenching to see the two innocents go through so much and yet smile like nothing has happened. Their new neighbour, Kiersten was pure entertainment, she was endearing and her mom, Sherry was very helpful and kind. Will and Caulder's grandparents were such warm, kind-hearted and simply genuine people. They brought a homely and slightly amusing touch to the story. 
One of the best things about Point Of Retreat is that there are many side stories going on save for Lake and Will's. However, each of these stories have been given equal attention, they are all happening and they are all  extremely gripping. 
Author Colleen Hoover again writes in a very simplistic and realistic manner. Her writing is truly superb. The poetry again makes everything so attractive and Will's little diary entries or Lake's mom's little quotes bring a vibrant and fresh tinge to the book. 
I absolutely loved Point Of Retreat. It made me smile, it made me laugh, it made me cry. It was an absolutely serious, simple and superb story. 
The Slammed series has left me speechless, made me me an emotional wreck and I am so glad I read it. Really, these books are simply stunning, they're nothing less than absolutely perfect. 

RATING:


Sarika



11 comments:

  1. I still haven't read Slammed by Colleen Hoover, but it sounds like I need to soon! I love a book filled with emotion, and Point of Retreat sounds like one of them :) Plus a book from a guy's POV - definitely refreshing. Thanks for the review!

    Chri @ Ink Skies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, Chri! You MUST read both the books ASAP! :D

      Delete
  2. Oh I truly love this series. It's truly an emotional roller-coaster.
    I'm so gla you liked it too. Fantastic Review! :D
    I want to read Hopeless by Colleen Hoover now. I've heard such good things about it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopeless is incredible and I'm SO glad you love this series as well! Thank you, Atmika! :)

      Delete
  3. Yay, so happy you loved these books as much as I did. I love how this book really makes you feel emotions. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been meaning to read this book for ages now (and I do mean a looooong time) and I definitely will do so soon. (I promise!) I'm happy to hear that it's a good follow-up, and that it's from Will's POV. Hoover is such a talented writer and I can't wait to read more from her!

    Great review, Sarika! :)

    Lyra @ Defiantly Deviant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read it soon, Lyra! I'll keep a check on you with that promise you made. ;) Haha, thank you!

      Delete
  5. Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! Great review and amazing blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that bowl was so precious and adorable! I'm glad you loved this one as well, Aman. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!