Saturday, February 23, 2013

Review- Slammed by Colleen Hoover

Goodreads Summary:

Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope. 
Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.
Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.


REVIEW:

Oh. Hmm... Wow. Slammed has left me... I don't know... awestruck maybe. The book was everything that I thought it would be, in the sense that it had everything I look for in a book and it made me feel everything I like to feel when reading a book; yet there was an indescribably unpredictable aspect to it that made it the perfect read. I can't put into words how enthralling it was to read it. 
I was so totally looking forward to reading Slammed and when I actually got to it, I knew why. It was such an emotional, pleasant and lovely read. It is a super nice and super sad story about love and loss. It is the kind of book that makes your heart melt. It is an adorably messed up read, which I love love love!
Slammed is the story of Layken, whose father passes away due to heart-attack after which Layken, her mother and her littler brother, Kel  move to Michigan. The real reason behind their mother's decision to move is so heart-wrenching. It really moved me to the core.
Layken's family was so close-knit and affectionate. Her mom was tender and caring and Layken's recaps of her dad only showed how great a man he was. Kel was so adorable. His backward days, his talk, his coolness, his curiosity, his 'basagna' (it's what he calls lasagna) and him just being himself was so cuddle-some. He finds a friend in their Michigan neighbour, Caulder, who happens to be the younger brother of Will, Layken's love interest. 
Caulder was also super adorable. The two boys made a great and fun team. 
Layken was an excellent girl. She was going through so much and it was so nice, intelligent and practical of her to put her family first. Her protectiveness towards her brother was simply awe-inspiring. Her new best friend, Eddie (who is a girl, FYI!) and Eddie's boyfriend Gavin were both really superb and selfless  people. 
Will himself was, oh my God, so excellent. He was caring, hard-working and understanding. His devotion to his brother was also clearly visible. How he takes care of his brother after their parent's death was simply stunning and swoon-worthy. 
Layken and Will have a super complicated yet super lovely relationship. The day they meet each other, something just feels right, but things don't work out the way they (or even us readers) would have liked to. Nonetheless, their story was adorable. Their togetherness, albeit messed up, was just so captivating and their chemistry was silent and loud at the same time.  
Author Colleen Hoover's writing is astounding, deep, stunning and simple. It's the kind of easy yet thorough that make you fall in love with the story and the characters. It makes you think that writing and performing poetry is so easy, the inclusion of which was absolutely attractive. The perfectly wow song lyrics by the band, The Avett Brothers at the beginning of every chapter just lit up the whole write-up. 
It is so hard to express in words the indescribable wonder of this book. It was perfect, it was everything, it was soulful and lyrical. 
I absolutely loved Slammed


RATING:





Sarika

21 comments:

  1. GREAT review!! I LOVED this book. Looks like you'll need to read Point of Retreat next, which is also amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that one as well, Elizabeth! So glad you enjoyed both too! :D

      Delete
  2. Great review! I really want to read Slammed now, you made it sound so very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful review of Slammed! I loved the all of the same things about it that you did. The emotions it made me feel, the poetry, the lyrical writing, the Avett Brothers, Kel and Caulder, how Lake put her family first, and how unbelievably awesome Will was. Everything Colleen Hoover writes becomes a part of my favorite's list!

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lindy! Looks like we both end up liking all the same things in a book. :D Awesome!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you enjoyed this book! I fell in love with everything about this book, I even got my sister to read it and she loved it! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Annmarie! Nothing better than spreading the goodness of books, that too Colleen's books. :D

      Delete
  5. Lovely review, I am reading Hopeless now and enjoying it..Slammed is on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slammed and Point Of Retreat are just as good as Hopeless! Do read them all soon, Kimba! :)

      Delete
  6. Awesome review! I have this one on my list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeay! another Slammed fan. This book.. you described what I feel too in the first paragraph. Layken was amazing and WILL!! I love it when books have protagonists with a younger sibling.. it really brings out their protective side and makes me connect with them even more! great review

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you on that one, Juhina! And I can relate to the youngsters in the family too. :P Thank you!

      Delete
  8. So happy you loved this one. I felt the same way. It just leaves readers speechless.

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha! Janhvi loved PoR more as well. I loved them BOTH. ;) Thanks, Aman!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have seen so many great reviews of this book and I have it but I have yet to read it. It looks so good and I am really looking forward to reading more of the new adult genre, I really want to start reading this book especially since you said it was a perfect read. Awesome review!!

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New Adult genre is amazing! I suggest you read these books really soon, Kristin! Thank you! :)

      Delete
  11. This has been sitting on my Kindle for some time. :( I keep seeing great reviews of it, hope I can get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it is on your Kindle, Ali, I suggest you read it tight now! What are you waiting for? :P

      Delete


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!