Monday, September 16, 2013

Review- City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Goodreads Summary:

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . . 

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.


REVIEW:

I started reading City of Bones two days before the movie was released. I had read some 30% of it when I watched the movie, which I thought was amazing. I revel in the fact that I love going backwards, which is why I don't really mind watching the movie before reading the book. I've done it tons of times before and it only makes the reading experience more enriched and easy, in a way.  
City of Bones the book, for me, was a little slow but my college schedule is the one to be completely blamed for that. It took me nearly three weeks to finish this one book and I've heard that the books to come are more dragged out. Well, it's a new world in The Mortal Instruments altogether so it has got to be dragged out or else we'll all be lost in a world we know nothing about. 
Clary and Simon have been best friends since a long time now and their life seems to be going really normal, until a fatal accident with her mother makes Clary realise that she no idea what secrets her mother has hidden from her and what it all means for her future. That's where the main heroes come in. We have the very famous, arrogant, cocky and absolutely great Jace and his fellow Shadowhunters. And that's all you get about the story because if I start with it, there's a lot to tell. 
Author Cassandra Clare has created a rather fascinating world with this series. I bet I would have fallen deeply in love with City of Bones had I read it a few years ago, in my teens, perhaps during the Twilight and House of Night phase. Nonetheless, I still enjoyed every bit of it, because who doesn't love an amazing Young Adult fantasy? 
It's hard for me to say this, but I have to admit that when Janhvi and I got out of the movie theatre, I recall telling her that The Mortal Instruments is perhaps the closest that any fantasy movie has come to Harry Potter and that's quite huge coming from me.  Because this reminds me a wee bit of Harry Potter, I'm going to make sure I pay more attention and read more faster henceforth. 
With the time the book took me, I really feel like I don't have some of the concepts clear, but that's why there's more books in the series, which I'll be continuing for sure because- this totally random but- I love Magnus Bane! 

RATING:


9 comments:

  1. I wasn't a big fan of this book either. I for instance read The Infernal Devices first and it blow me away so this one failed to deliver some feelings. Still I need to see the movie as you say it's great. Great review Sarika :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you should watch the movie, Tanja and I'm really looking forward to read TID some day. Thank you! :)

      Delete
  2. I read this one a few years ago when it was first released. I found it a little difficult to understand what the author was trying to do or say in places. I also had a lot of trouble understanding both of Clary's parents and where they were coming from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct. I thought I was the only one confused but it's good to know you felt the same, Kathryn. ;)

      Delete
  3. I loved City of Bones, though for me I have to read the book before I see the movie. I literally finished the book that morning before I saw the movie. I was glad because some of the things that happen go into the second as well... sorry spoiler. I loved it as equally as Twilight as my new obsession has to be Jace. Great review, Sarika! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's some great feat, Emma- finishing a book the morning before of it's movie comes out. Kudos to you! Jace is quite great. Thank you! :)

      Delete
  4. Sarika this series is addicting, and trust me it just gets better and better! You will be devouring these books before you know it! The world building is amazing, and I love her Infernal Devices Series as well. It was a little slow for me in the very beginning too, but you will get more in to it as the series goes on. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to hear that from you, Lindy. I'm now definitely more interested in reading more and finding out more about this amazing fantasy world. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh shoot, I had no idea you loved this series so much, Aman or that you even read it. Yay for Magnus and Valentine (gotta love the bad guy, eh?). ;) Thank you, girl!

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!