Thursday, September 19, 2013

Review- Wounded by Jasinda Wilder

Summary-

War has taken everything from me. My family. My home. My innocence. In a country blasted by war and wracked by economic hardship, a young orphan girl like me has very few options when it comes to survival. Thus, I do what I must to live, to eat, and I try very hard to not consider the cost to my soul. My heart is empty, and my existence brutal. 

The one impossibility in my life is love.

And then I meet HIM.

War is hell. It takes a chunk out of a man's very soul to do the kinds of things war demands of you. You live with fear, you live with guilt, and you live with nightmares. If you haven't been through it, there's no understanding it. War leaves no room for love, no room for tenderness or softness. You gotta be hard, closed off, and ready to fight every moment of every day. Lose focus for a split second, and you're dead.

Now the only thing that can save me is HER.

Review-

As soon as I read the summary for Wounded I knew I wanted to read the book. It has such a unique plot with an Iraqi prostitute and an American soldier falling in love with each other. Such an impossible and forbidden love story. It turned out to be an amazing read.

Rania is an Iraqi girl. She has seen war all around her since she was a little girl. Her parents, her aunt and uncle were killed because of war and she is left with nothing. That is the reason she starts to sell her body for money. Its either that or starvation. Rania was a really brave person. She was fighting to survive in her own way and the way she was portrayed made me admire her.

Then we have Hunter. He's a U.S. Marine. When the war unexpectedly brings wounded Hunter and Rania together their bond is formed. I loved Hunter. Never once did he hold Rania's prostitution against her. He wanted her for the brave girl she was. He was a strong person on his own and the perfect match to Rania's vulnerability.

Rania and Hunter's relationship moves steadily. There were good parts and there were ugly parts but it was extremely realistically written. I loved how Hunter learned Arabic and Rania English. They taught each other their language and it all made their bond even stronger. Their love story was amazing. Also, the intimate scenes were incredibly erotic.

The ending was really sweet. Rania and Hunter finally get what they deserve and each has his or her scars to show for the war. This was my firs Jasinda Wilder book and I really don't know why I didn't read any of her books before. She's an amazing author and Wounded was an amazing read with an unforgettable story.



2 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this one but you're right. Now after reading your review I have to say that this sounds pretty unique and I like the difference between the characters. Great review Janhvi :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read her Falling books and I loved them, but I avoided this book for the same reason you decided to read it. I'm not big fan of that type of stories, but after reading your review, I think I might check it out.
    Lovely review, Janhvi.

    Glass @ Way Too Hot Books

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!