Monday, September 23, 2013

Review- The Moon And More by Sarah Dessen

Goodreads Summary:

Luke is the perfect boyfriend: handsome, kind, fun. He and Emaline have been together all through high school in Colby, the beach town where they both grew up. But now, in the summer before college, Emaline wonders if perfect is good enough.

Enter Theo, a super-ambitious outsider, a New Yorker assisting on a documentary film about a reclusive local artist. Theo's sophisticated, exciting, and, best of all, he thinks Emaline is much too smart for Colby.

Emaline's mostly-absentee father, too, thinks Emaline should have a bigger life, and he's convinced that an Ivy League education is the only route to realizing her potential. Emaline is attracted to the bright future that Theo and her father promise. But she also clings to the deep roots of her loving mother, stepfather, and sisters. Can she ignore the pull of the happily familiar world of Colby?

Emaline wants the moon and more, but how can she balance where she comes from with where she's going?

Sarah Dessen's devoted fans will welcome this story of romance, yearning, and, finally, empowerment. It could only happen in the summer.


REVIEW:

This was a bit of a disappointment. Being my first ever Sarah Dessen read, I was pretty excited to get to The Moon And More. But once I began reading it, I was super bored within a few pages. Although the book did pick up speed once I crossed the halfway mark, getting to that mark in itself was torturous. The book was so slow with nothing happening at all. It was more like reading day to day journal entries of the MC's summer. 
Emaline works at her family's business and this is the last summer she will be spending at Colby before moving out for college. She did not seem like an eighteen year old to me. She seemed way older than that. 
Emaline's boyfriend Luke was such a jock and even though he turned out to be a nice guy, I didn't like him so much. I had high expectations from the other love interest, Theo, but he turned out to be really weird and a jerk up to a certain extent.
Emaline's family life was good to see with all of them interacting a lot with each other. But her relationship with her mom was a bit confusing. I would have loved to see more interaction between her and her dad as opposed to her constant thoughts about her father. 
The best characters for me were Emaline's best friends Daisy and Morris. Daisy was a fab character and Morris was so much of fun to have around. I found myself laughing at him and his dialogues many times. I also loved Emaline's half brother Benji who was a total darling and such a sweet boy. 
It's not like I hated this book, because honestly, I didn't. It was a good, light and breezy summer read. 
What had me turned off was the slow beginning and the inactivity. And I didn't quite get the whole coming of age of an eighteen year old thing. And for a romance read, there was very little romance. 
Honestly, I don't even know what to expect from a Sarah Dessen book since I haven't read any of the author's works. But I surely expected more than what I got in The Moon And More
I've heard that the author's previous books are really good, but I won't be giving them a try anytime soon. 

RATING:



7 comments:

  1. Shame you didn't love it, I've not read a Sarah Dessen novel yet, but I hear loads about her. I'm not a huge fan of contemporary though, if you found the first part boring, I'm sure I'd fall asleep!
    ~Tilly @ Hardcore Heroines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally, I had a hard time staying up when reading this one. I've heard her other books are good too and I hope we enjoy them sometime, Tilly. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm really sorry to hear this. I was never a huge fan of Sarah's books but it's only because I'm not a chick-lit lover but still I enjoyed them here and there. My co-blogger read this one and told me that it's not close to her other works. I hope you'll enjoy the next one Sarika :*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this was my first Sarah Dessen book and a disappointment. I hope so too, Tanja. :)

      Delete
  3. Aw, it sucks that you didn't enjoy this book. I've read many of Sarah Dessen's books and I've loved all of them and I had planned on getting this book soon as well. I'm a bit nervous I won't like it now but I know I'll try it eventually. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's okay Anna. If you're fan, go for it! :)

      Delete
  4. Aw, you could put it off for now and read it next summer, Aman and I'll read some of the author's previous books. ;)

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!