Thursday, August 27, 2015

Review- Pawn by Aimee Carter

Summary-

For Kitty Doe, it seems like an easy choice. She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves, or she can become a VII and join the most powerful family in the country. 

If she says yes, Kitty will be Masked—surgically transformed into Lila Hart, the Prime Minister's niece, who died under mysterious circumstances. As a member of the Hart family, she will be famous. She will be adored. And for the first time, she will matter. 

There's only one catch. She must also stop the rebellion that Lila secretly fostered, the same one that got her killed …and one Kitty believes in. Faced with threats, conspiracies and a life that's not her own, she must decide which path to choose—and learn how to become more than a pawn in a twisted game she's only beginning to understand.

Review-

I have read a number of young adult dystopians but I cannot say that it is my all time favourite genre or anything. Pawn looked like an interesting read and I picked it up because I got a great deal on it. Pawn for me, was a good read because I had absolutely no expectations out of it. It didn't blow my mind away nor did it make me want to throw the book across the room.

Kitty Doe is our heroine. In Kitty's world everyone is classified according to a number in society and each number has a particular job to do. When Kitty's turn comes she is a 3 which is not good at all. So begins her journey and how she gets entangled up in politics and a rebellion, so much bigger than she could have ever imagined.

I found Kitty to be an okay heroine. I didn't completely like all her actions but I could see why she was doing it. Kitty also soon gets Masked, that means she is fully changed to look like a member of the most powerful political family. I found this whole process to be a bit unreal and it went way too fast in the book. Kitty adjusted too quickly and again, I didn't find it quite believable.

There is no love triangle in Pawn but there are some hints of it. The book does not focus on the romance but it is going on in the background. I found nothing great about either of the guys so they were pretty average. What I did find interesting was the Hart family. That family was messed up big time and it was interesting to see the lengths people will go to, to stay in power. 

I liked the few twists we got. They could be a bit expected but they still pushed the book forward and kept it from being the same old. I did read Pawn because I own it and though there is a lot left unsaid at the end of the book I cannot say that I will pick up the next book right away. It didn't reel me in that much. Pawn was an okay read.



2 comments:

  1. Ah, it's a shame dystopian is something that isn't the best genre choice for you. But I am glad this one was alright enough for you to enjoy it somewhat and not hate it xD I am wary with how many dystopians I do read - but the ones I do read I tend to like fair enough. Nice review!

    My recent post: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2015/08/tackle-your-tbr-read-thon-sign-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great story. Do yourself a favor and enjoy for yourself. So many ups and downs and twists and turns. The details are vivid and you find yourself immediately immersed. Love the vastness of the characters and the explicit depictions for each. Very much anticipating the next part of the series. Don't ever stop writing, Ms. Carter.

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!