Saturday, April 06, 2013

Review- Nobody But Us by Kristin Halbrook

Goodreads Summary:

Bonnie and Clyde meets IF I STAY in this addictively heart-wrenching story of two desperate teenagers on the run from their pasts.

They’re young. They’re in love. They’re on the run.

Zoe wants to save Will as much as Will wants to save Zoe. When Will turns eighteen, they decide to run away together. But they never expected their escape to be so fraught with danger....

When the whole world is after you, sometimes it seems like you can’t run fast enough.

Nobody But Us, told in alternating perspectives from Will and Zoe, is an unflinching novel, in turns heartbreaking and hopeful, about survival, choices, and love...and how having love doesn’t always mean that you get a happy ending. Described as “beautiful, heartbreaking, and exhilarating” by Kody Keplinger, author of The DUFF, Nobody But Us will prove irresistible to fans of Nina Lacour, Jenny Han, and Sara Zarr.


REVIEW:

“beautiful, heartbreaking, and exhilarating” 
Yeah, author Kody Keplinger perfectly describes Nobody But Us in three words. From  the summary, I don't know about Bonnie and Clyde (sad, I know) but I do know about Adam and Mia (from Gayle Forman's If I Stay series) and Will and Zoe were nothing like them. 
I was super excited to read 
Nobody But Us and when I read that the story has a heartbreaking ending (which, contrary to almost everyone out there, I love), I was super duper excited to read it and after Janhvi finished reading the book and told me she's glad I'll be reviewing it, I was so super duper excited to get to it. 
Will and Zoe, the main characters in 
Nobody But Us were jumbled. They both have something they're trying to run away from. I can easily understand their need to escape, start a new life and just be together. I especially loved the whole going far away from home idea and how Will and Zoe set off on a road trip that changes their lives. Seriously, just letting go and escaping with your love sounds so perfect. 
What I didn't like was how reckless and stupid they were and how they thought they were invincible. But then again, invincible is what you feel when you're in love and you're 15/18. I totally, completely and absolutely get that. I loved Will and Zoe's love for each other. I loved their relationship. I loved to see how they were selflessly devoted to making each other happy and how Will showed how much he needed Zoe in his life. Albeit vague, their relationship was beautiful. 
Zoe is the good girl. Will is the bad boy. And one thing  I've come to understand is that when a good girl and a bad boy come together, the relationship is bound to crash at some point and it's going to be a disaster. And God, how I love these relationships! 
Save for Will and Zoe's downright thoughtlessness and desperation, which I again say that I totally understand, 
Nobody But Us is a very beautiful story. Author Kristin Halbrook's writing is fluid and lithesome. Will and Zoe's alternating points of view were put down meticulously. Will's POV started right where Zoe's ended and vice versa. 
It truly was beautiful although dazed and after putting the book down, the only question I asked myself was what sense did the book even make. I don't know if I loved this book or hated it. All I can say is that Nobody But Us was a beautiful story that in it's own way, impressed and touched me. 

RATING:




6 comments:

  1. When I first heard about this book I really wanted to read it but as I read more reviews I noticed that a lot of people didn't really like the book. I know the feeling of not knowing if you loved or hated a book so I don't know if I'll be picking this up any time soon. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that love-hate feeling does tend to get confusing and I know what you mean when you say you're undecided. It's safe to give it a try, but honestly, you can wait. Thank you, Annmarie! :)

      Delete
  2. Exactly, Aman! I agree with you. I, however, found the relationship to be beautiful in it's own way. Will was quite weird but like you, I found the book addictive as well. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, teenagers in love can be pretty reckless. I believe this was the first review I've read for this one, so you gave me something to think about. I'm glad at least that you thought it was a beautiful story and it touched you! Very nicely reviewed, Sarika!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right you are, it can be reckless! But at the same time, every relationship is different in it's own way. Thank you, Aylee! :)

      Delete
  4. Howdy! This is the second time visiting now and I really just wanted to say I truley relish looking
    through your blog. I've decided to bookmark it at digg.com with your title: Blogger: The Readdicts and your URL: http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=3034640484718978462&postID=4063558571944822263. I hope this is okay with you, I'm attempting
    to give your great blog a bit more publicity. Be back soon.


    Also visit my web-site; kongres advokata

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!