Monday, April 15, 2013

Review- Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Goodreads Summary:

St. Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger...

Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever.


REVIEW:

After reading the Twilight saga and the first 7/8 books of the House Of Night series, I had, out of choice, taken a break from vampires because it was getting too much and too similar. Then came the Bloodlines series and news about the Vampire Academy movie adaptation and Janhvi and I decided to dedicate an entire month to reading the Vampire Academy series
The first book in the series, Vampire Academy was so good. 
Author Richelle Mead's writing is just excellent. The character buildup and plot progression is simply outstanding. Details of the Vampire Academy vampire world are not given at the beginning but come into picture as and when required and it is so easy to understand and picturise everything.  There's a lot of humour and some really sweet moments to go along with the general darkness and dangerousness that comes with vampires. 
Vasilisa Dragomir (Lissa) is a Moroi Vampire Princess and her best friend and guardian Rosemarie Hathaway (Rose) is a Dhampir. The two escape from school and are living in and enjoying the human world when Lissa's appointed guardian, Dimitri Belikov is sent to bring the two back to their school. 
Rose was an absolutely cool and kick ass girl. I loved how she put Lissa's safety ahead of everything else and was keen on protecting her. Lissa was kind and warm. She is an exceptional vampire who can do things only a handpicked few have been able to do before her. Together, Rose and Lissa were inseparable. Their friendship is really thorough and strong and has been portrayed beautifully. 
As for the guys, Dmitri was beaut. Although I'm too fond of him, he is hot and smart- a dashing combination. His training sessions with Rose were full of chemistry that was hard to miss. Lissa's love interest, Christian Ozera, who, like Lissa, is a royal Moroi and was simply stunning and sweet- he was amazing. 
The villains in the story weren't the typical scary villains but some unexpected and completely off the beaten track ones with an intelligent and practical purpose in mind. 
Vampire Academy might seem like most other vampire books that have been written, with a vampire school, kick ass heroines and hot heroes and a groovy plot filled with sizzle to keep the story going, but it's so much more than just that. It is gripping and sizzling alright, but one of the most impressive aspect of it is the writing, particularly Rose's voice which is easy and stunning. 
I'm glad I finally started with the series. The hype surrounding it is all worthy and deserving and I can't wait to pick the next book up. 

RATING:



13 comments:

  1. Wow! Going by your review, i want to read this one! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must definitely read this one, Prerna! :)

      Delete
  2. I read these books years ago and really liked them. It is fun to read your reviews and get to relive them a little bit : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that feeling and I'm glad I made you relive old memories, Cece! :)

      Delete
  3. I love this series. I read the first four books in only a week. I'm currently reading the The Golden Lily from the Bloodlines series. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! It is hard to put this series away, eh? I can't wait to get to Bloodlines! :)

      Delete
  4. YAY!!! I LOVE this series! I'm so happy you finally gave it a chance :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't pay attn to the hype, I figured it was like any other vampire series, and then I read book one and rushed out to get the rest of the series. Lol, if there's an addictive series, it's this one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you! It is addictive and SO dang good! :)

      Delete
  6. Aw, on the plus side, Janhvi and I will be publishing our reviews of the series back to back and you'll get to reminisce over it, Aman! Thank you! :D And yes, FINALLY.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy that you both started reading this series!! :) You'll see it'll get better and better. I'm glad you enjoyed the first book and just so you know the third was my fave ;) Enjoy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my God, Tanja! I think my favourite is also Shadow Kiss. Yay! :D Well, I've read the whole series and loved it and it did get better and better.

      Delete


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!